1 King’s Bench Walk (“1KBW”) is a specialist barristers’ chambers in London, housing 52 barristers. All barristers are self-employed individuals, and a barristers’ chambers is the collective name for a group of barristers, often specialising in the same area of law, who have formed an association with each other. We practice from the same premises and share the same administrative resources.
Most barristers at 1KBW specialise in Family Law, and over many years we have a developed a national and international reputation for excellence. We are consistently top-ranked by all of the legal directories as leaders in Family Law.
In 2014, the Chambers & Partners legal directory described 1KBW as “One of the best sets in the country…The actual and future heavyweights of the Family Bar”. The Legal 500 directory described us as ‘At the forefront of family law” and awarded us the title of ‘Family Law Chambers of the Year’.
Of all of the specialist family law chambers in London, we are perhaps the only chambers that is top-ranked for both ‘matrimonial finance’ (eg: dealing with family finances after a divorce or separation) and ‘children’ (eg: dealing with disputes as to the residence/contact of children). This means that you can be sure that we can provide you with the perfect barrister for your case, with a wealth of specialist experience.
At 1KBW we house specialist barristers in cases which involve:
- The sharing of assets and finances after a divorce or separation;
- Contested divorces or civil partnerships;
- The sharing of property between unmarried partners;
- Financial support for the children of both married and unmarried partners;
- The abduction or retention of children in a foreign country;
- The permanent relocation of children, whether within the UK or abroad;
- Disputes about holidays abroad;
- Disputes about contact between a parent and a child;
- Disputes about with which parent a child should live;
- Domestic violence and other forms of domestic or relationship abuse;
- Restraining orders, injunctions and orders regulating the occupation of a home;
- Disputes as to a child’s education, change of name, medical procedures etc.
- Criminal charges, professional disciplinary or regulatory proceedings
In addition to this expertise, 1KBW houses one of the most experienced and highly-regarded dispute resolution teams in the country. We have a wide selection of qualified mediators, arbitrators and collaborative lawyers who will enable you to take control of your litigation by working with the other side to reach an agreement.